AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed corn shortage is real
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Thud
Posted 11/29/2011 13:41 (#2074686 - in reply to #2074579)
Subject: Re: Seed corn shortage is real

Near-north Ontario, French River
Many of the varieties we grow come from winter production in places like Chile. The seed we will plant next May is still growing down south as we speak. Seed companies budget their supply this time of year based on anticipated yields down south, then allocate "x" amount of units to each dealer/region. So I go in and place my order today, but come march the crop isn't there to supply my seed. Did the dealer do wrong by me by selling me something that wasn't available or is it just a reality that the seed isn't going to be there? Typically my dealer has always gotten me what I wanted by wrangling the necessary seed from other dealers or other cancelled orders. I wouldn't hold it against him if someday he came to be and said he was sorry that my seed order wasn't going to be filled 100%. I typically order early, so maybe that helps guarantee my supply. I would expect to get preferential treatment over someone who walked into a dealer on the 29th of April hoping to get seed to plant May 1st.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)