AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

36vs 30 vs 20 inch row spacing corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

woodchuck
Posted 10/15/2011 07:42 (#2004951 - in reply to #2003904)
Subject: Re: 36vs 30 vs 20 inch row spacing corn

East central Iowa
I always am interested in row width conversations because I'm still on 38" rows. These are my observations over the last 2 yrs since buying out my dads operation. I only farm 230 acres of row crops on hills and small fields. Average CSR is 62 and most has been no-till for 35 to 40 years.
I plant 32,500 pop on corn and apply crop removal P&K with 30lbs of N as dry with planter. NH3 applied in spring preplant. This year total avg. for all acres of corn was 197 bu. Some 3rd year COC across scale went 235bu. Some COB stubble went hit 260 in some areas. I plant beans no-till into corn ground at 144,000 pop. on 38" rows. My 3 yr avg. is 68 bu. and have had fields last two years go up to 84 and 88bu./acre. I would like to change to 30" rows, but on my hills I know that will get hairy if not running duals. I think I have areas that could be improved in getting the most out
of each acre and that may be 30" rows but I owe nothing on my equipt. Back to yeilds, I have been right with all the local guys who have 30" and 20" rows, The big advantage I see is early canopy to control weeds. These are just my opinions and observations nothing else.
DAVE
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)