AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

36vs 30 vs 20 inch row spacing corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mcupps
Posted 10/15/2011 00:27 (#2004799 - in reply to #2004351)
Subject: Re: 36vs 30 vs 20 inch row spacing corn

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
It tended to be a bad year around here. Im currently shelling some corn that got a popup shower on it that will make 70bu. But our average will be well under 20. Very humbling experience. Until this year I would have told anyone that its basically impossiable to grow under 50bu corn and a guy has to be trying real hard to grow under 100bu corn, I try to do a good job sometimes and have a COC field with an APH above 150 that made under 10bu(aph was closer to 200 until 09 and 10) . It tends to be getting rougher by the year. June is our wettested month. This will be our third hot dry June in a row. Of course this year with all the replant and sidedressing we only had $400 an acre worth of seed/chemical/fertilizer . I live in Barry County but farm a lot in Stone County. Look up Federal Crop Insurance for Stone County MO. and see what comes back.
And before someone asks, We were going to chop some for silage with all the cattle needed fed, but nitrates in the 8-10 to 12K ppm still would be considered way unsafe after the 60-70 percent reduction from the ensiling process. Plus a lot of it wouldn't have made much more than 3 ton, and at that time we still thought we had potential for some 30bu corn.
We just brushogged the variety test plot we had in Exeter Mo, So I can't give any numbers on that one, but I can say out of 16 varietys they all were under 1bu per acre, so I guess there was no statistical difference. Maybe I should come up with my own observations such as: I could say that that the convential corn did just as well as the trated corn, or that the SmartStax didn't have any yield drag. :) There are all sorts of correct answers :)

Edited by mcupps 10/15/2011 00:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)