AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

General Contractor/Home Builder?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ekeller2
Posted 9/16/2011 15:14 (#1965210)
Subject: General Contractor/Home Builder?

So. IL
Still on the hunt for a new home site, and the wife recently had a offer from a local realtor, 1.5 acres for $25,000. I thought its kind of high for 1.5(never farmed) piece, but ok, if thats what she wants then I will buy it. So we start dealing with the realtor, turns out they are a General contractor/home builder as well, and want to do "some" of the work. So last night I meet up with them, and I was none too happy when I left. They want to be the general contractor on it, and decide who gets to do what work. Was first told it was $25k, no less for the lot. I said thats fine, I can do that. Then we stated talking basments, and was told I can't pour my own, they have a sub contractor for that. Same for the outside concrete. I then explaind that I have poured over 100 basments in my past, and want to do mine as well. Was told no again, we have our own sub contractor for that. I then explained how I have worked with their sub in the past(im a residential concrete contractor), and have already gotten prices from them and they did not like that at all(I actually rent their wall forms). We then we started talking house material, and they have a supplier bidding the list right now. I already have a bid from another local supplier, and said "we will use the low bidder". I was then told no, we will only use our supplier. I then told them I will provide all material, and was told no. At this point im trying to figure this all out. Do they get a kick back from the lumber/material suppliers? Or do they just mark all this material up and charge me more? Same with the basment, do they just take that bill and mark it up again? Its bad enough that im paying $50.00 and hour per carpenter, now all this material markup? And what do they think they can walk right in on my project and think they are the general contractor, and can call all the shots? After all, its me paying the bill not them. The housing market in this area is very slow. I bet less than 10 new house have been built this year in the entire county. I think last year was 7. So needless to say im back looking for ground. This took me for a major spin. I have worked with carpenters bafore, and they have been happy that I pay for all the material, and they just had an hourly rate for thier labor. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)