AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bi-products effect on meat quality/taste?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 8/29/2011 23:03 (#1937007)
Subject: Bi-products effect on meat quality/taste?

Columbia City, Indiana
Just wondering if feeding bi-products like soyhull pellets, DDG's, gluten, etc have a negative effect on meat quality, tenderness, taste, etc? Many of my freezer beef sales are driven by word of mouth after people are very happy with the taste and quality of product I sell. Not bragging, that's simply the truth. I think I could sell many more per year this way if I wanted to. I've already had several people who got quarters this year tell me they want a half for next year, and 3 have told me they shared some with family members and now THEY want some, too. So I'm trying to think if it would make sense to save some money by feeding biproducts, but it that would hurt my quality I might not want to do it. This year I fed whole shelled corn and KENT pellets free choice in a steer stuffer, along with free choice grass hay. They had a TM/salt block, but I don't think 18 head used more than 1 or 2 blocks the whole winter and spring. They did pass a fair amount of corn, but that horse has been beaten to death on here and other sites on if they "got all the good" out of that corn as many people say.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)