AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High Yield Corn Plot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

HuskerAgronomist
Posted 8/29/2011 12:26 (#1935994 - in reply to #1935945)
Subject: Re: High Yield Corn Plot

Iowa
My company along with another chemical company sponsors a "high yield club" where we have a handful of choice producers participate. Last year was our first year, each "sponsor" agronomists like me have a couple producers we help. The point is is to find out how to increase yield throughout the farm at a financially reasonably rate. But as far as the High Yield Plot goes its no holds bared. Spend the money. Last year the winner of the highest yield corn and soybeans won a brand new John Deere Gator. Not to brag but one of my producers last year won with 114 bu beans. I was hoping to win the corn plot this year on the same piece of land, I was guessing the final yield between 290 and 300. 2 days later the whole field blew down. It was planted at 42000 and was filled to the tip. But when you have a crowed field with a racehorse type hybrid that is prone to green snap and we knew it when it was planted what are you going to do.

To answer the question above, every plant has the capability to put multiple ears one, but that isn't a guarantee and its hard to get a stalk to support multiple ears all the way to harvest. by creating hybrids that thrive on high populations you can bank on my ears per acre. more ears + more kernels/ear/acre=higher yield no matter how you slice it
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)