AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sulfur and zinc in my wheat fertilizer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 8/22/2011 04:28 (#1924005 - in reply to #1923562)
Subject: Re: Sulfur and zinc in my wheat fertilizer

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !

Nick M - 8/21/2011 21:59 Soil-life - 20 lbs of a zinc sulfate would get a little expensive wouldn't it? If you do this do you spread every year 20 lbs. My current rotation is Corn, beans, wheat. Soil tests show we have about 3.5 ppm on 10 cec soils. Tissue tests show high readings on zinc for corn and sufficient levels on wheat. Last year we dry spread only 5 lbs of zinc sulfate, but then for corn we have zinc in the pop-up and also in the 2x2. If we spread 20 lbs in the dry can we elimate the pop-up and 2x2 or is it still good to have those for when corn is small. Also is there a number or a point on the soil test that when you reach that level on zinc you back off the application rate?

a 3.5 ppm is not to bad Nick.  I like to maintain 4 to 6ppm depending on Yield information. so if you can maintain the yields you want. and tissue analysis coresponding with maximum yields are good. No stalk, crown rot then you are good. the question concerning pop up.   when we spread 10 to 20 plus lbs we do not place ( any ) in the pop up.   also Nick,  with your 10 CEC soils, K and Manganese, as RW and Nichols were visiting about. are very critical for maintaining a Plants Fiber and celular Health. stalk strength.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)