AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

nitrogen with center pivots
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jay in WA
Posted 8/15/2011 00:14 (#1912732 - in reply to #1911368)
Subject: RE: nitrogen with center pivots

Pasco WA.
40 lbs of N on in a band with the planter. Start pumping N on with the pivot as soon as the corn emerges. Like to be finished about 3 weeks before tassleing. At that stage I don't think it's possible to leach Nitrogen with a pivot. COC 350 lbs total, following alfalfa 300 lbs total. 300 bu yield goal. I would like to have more N on with the planter because sometimes it's pretty difficult to pump enough on with the pivot fast enough. My seed rep says to use 70,000 kernals per bu here when using the kernal counts to make yield estimates. I suspect the main advantage we have is never stressing for water and cool nights. I also irrigate all the way to maturity. Our long northern days also help. This year we had a cold spring but have never had any heat stress. All of my corn is harvested for high moisture so test weight is not a concern. Just maximum total pounds per acre.

For next year my goal is to have some strip till with a higher rate of N applied pre plant in the strip.

My primary yield limiting factor is a lack of heat units. I have the water and can apply the fertilizer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)