AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Biology of Soil Compaction
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

twraska
Posted 8/11/2011 00:09 (#1907015 - in reply to #1905465)
Subject: Re: The Biology of Soil Compaction

Wallis, TX
Not always hot and dry, some years its way to wet, hence the reason for the beds. And, when its dry we need to drag down the beds to get to moisture to plant, its also the time when the ground will be so hard you can't stuff a planter into the ground. You will raise the frame off the ground before you get the planter into the ground. BTDT Air bags on planter lifting frame gauge wheels in air, filled boxes with seed trying get units to stay down all to no avail.

As for the 'hangup', there isn't one, it just doesn't work here. We've tried various methods and what works best is tillage or at least min-till, which is what I'd say I am doing now. That's why I made the statement about all the farmers here being 'dumb, stupid or whatever'. We have tried to make no-till work. We really don't have a hang up about 'having' to plow or disk.

What a lot of people don't realize is how much our weather changes year to year and season to season. Most don't realize that when it doesn't freeze things just work differently and probably our soils are different. Up north the soil was made by the grinding of rock by ice thousands of feet thick, ours soils are marine muds. Ever tried farming the bottom of a lake bed? That's basicly what we do.

As for making you payment, I wish I could, but I don't have an oil well! LOL However, we do need some help baling hay next week if you have some spare time. Just kidding!

If you ever get down this way give me a shout we'll go for a tour of the area. We're not above hearing new ideas.

I like your tag line, I've actually had more than one junk man want my equipment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)