AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

School???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 7/22/2011 12:01 (#1874390 - in reply to #1873617)
Subject: RE: School???

Rolla, ND
I would think you'd find the North Central Weed Science Society annual meeting very interesting, it's in Milwaukee this year. http://www.ncwss.org/

Their annual proceedings are a wealth.

For what you are looking for, some of the summer crop schools are probably the best, don't know though if you are even at the level to take advantage of them. Tuition can be several thousand dollars for a week.

Another good place to start is many states have a crop scout school aimed at those college students who will spend their summer scouting for crop consultants. Those tend to be very low priced and a real good introduction to what you need to be looking at.

Other than that, I'm not sure. You can sure get sidetracked when you talk plant health, there are a lot of things out there that probably can be best described as a prophet and disciples that turn it into a literal religion. Like many religions, there tends to be a lot of truth mixed in with some Kool-Aid. Mostly they ultimately end up to be a very expensive education.

One other thing that really is probably the place to start is with the Extension Publications, they don't tend to be cutting edge but mostly are available online now and they really are pretty good summaries. If they don't make sense to you then that tells you something too.

By the way, I had to laugh with the Roundup on Everything being old school, but when I thought of it, you are right.

You will experience several waves of "just do this and you can be an idiot and get rich farming in your lifetime". So far, they've been temporary at best. If true, the get rich usually goes away because they charge so much for it they are the ones who retire rich.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)