AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Notill soybean burndown question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

greenswede
Posted 5/21/2006 00:16 (#13654 - in reply to #13622)
Subject: RE: Notill soybean burndown question

Urbandale Ia, (but originally from SE IA)
If the field isn't burned down and its time to plant, around here we go ahead and plant and apply the burndown later. (straight glyphosate)

If we can't spray a day or two after planting, we try to stay off of the fields if the beans are breaking through the ground....driving on them at that time can break them off. At that point, we'll wait until the first tri-foliate is out, they're pretty flexible then.
It can drive you nuts to have to look at a weedy field that is planted, just have to be patient. Don't delay too long after emergence though and try to get by with just one pass by waiting. Several documented yield trials that early competition can drastically reduce yield. (I think its something like 2 weeks is pretty insignificant, but 30 days can start to get in your pocket.)
If you end up burning down first, you could use 2,4-D ester and then wait a few days. We used to do that, but I always worried about seedling damage. If I knew I was going to use 2,4-D, I liked to do it way early (April) and then add something like low rate Prowl/Valor to the mix to hold the weeds back until planting.
I've planted as soon as 2 days after 2,4-D, but it was late in the year and temps were in the 90's for several days and pretty windy as well. Once custom planted a field that was over 2 weeks after 2,4-D and he had problems.....but it was cool and wet during that time frame. So, 5-7 days is just kind of a benchmark depending on weather conditions.

Edited by greenswede 5/21/2006 00:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)