AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you do with this corn? pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

easymoney
Posted 7/15/2011 09:31 (#1864010 - in reply to #1863678)
Subject: Re: What would you do with this corn? pics

ecmn
with that much rain i would be side dressing Nitrogen and sulfur for sure. both are very mobile and the rain can push them away.
I side dress granular, its fast cheap and easy, with the ground as wet as you have it the product should melt in pretty fast so you should have minimal loss.

I would look at also pushing boron/zinc and micro nutrients in that corn. either mix with the side dress or foliar feed them on.
the micros help build root system and help move macro nutrients through the plant. that might be able to help catch the plant up?!!
a fungicide application probably wouldnt be the worst thing in stressed corn that is showings signs of fungi?!

for sure i would cultivate, but i would set it up either removing some sweeps to narrow up the tillage width, and then run it a little deeper, 3-4 inchs. get that soil opened up so it can breath and dry up some. you narrow up the cultivator so you dont damage all them little roots that are moving into the row.

you can easily turn that corn around especially with the heat coming this weekend. that corn is what our corn looked like earlier this spring, I bet this corn is another 6-8" taller since the pic was taken on tues. once that corn gets a hold of the food you put out there for it, it will take off like gang busters.

I wouldnt wait for a tissue sample to get back, you dont have 2 weeks at this point to wait. get some urea and ams out there, do a micro nutrient corn folair feed with some quality 10-34 at a gallon or two per acre for a quick shot of nitrogen until the roots find the side dress and then fugicide and cultivate. and then in two weeks come back and show us your 7 foot tall corn!!!

I am 6'5" for reference. on july 1st this corn was waist high, on the 5th it was chest high and this pic was on the 12th.

Edited by easymoney 7/15/2011 09:41

(107-0706_AUT.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 107-0706_AUT.jpg (56KB - 48 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)