AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ongoing drought, and feeding cows/calves question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim1_ks
Posted 7/17/2011 09:39 (#1866277 - in reply to #1866072)
Subject: RE: Maybe you should wean calves and load up on lite bred cows, feed your sileage

South Central Kansas, Harper County
Yep, Mark, both of your ideas carry some merit! Local sale barn having another "drought" cow sale tomorrow, regular sales are on Tuesdays. Seems like he is having a "weekly" drought cow sale, as well as other sale barns in the area. We are selling some calves off of our fall calving herd on Tuesday, normally we run them a little later into July, but think now is the time to move them.

I would think about weaning the spring calves right away, but I don't like the hot temps we are having. I am thinking with the light weights of these calves, plus the temps, it would be very stressful. Took a look at them yesterday, lot of them around the 350-375# mark, plus some near 400#. Lots of length, but not carrying any extra flesh, thats for sure.

Might just take the calves off and go straight to the sale barn with the calves. Herd last week at the "drought" cow sale, either big bunches of calves or cows/calves were shipped off to Missouri somewhere.

I like the idea of buying Bred cows later this fall, feeding them my silage, and selling them next spring. I will be sending in a sample of my corn silage next week, to see what feed analysis is, so that might influence what I decide to do.

Thanks for the continued "suggestions"
Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)