AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Happy Birthday America !!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 7/4/2011 20:27 (#1848730 - in reply to #1847864)
Subject: RE: American Pride....

Great grandpa fulfilling his promise to my already deceased Grandmother in 1955. 

Old barn was junk and he had promised her he would build her a new barn someday. She had passed away unexpectedly at age 47.

He kept that promise and built the barn. He was 80 years old at the time and passed away 2 years later.  No printed plans only in his mind and he laid out the mortise and tenon main structure in the yard. Ends were balloon framed and he bought the curved rafters. All timbers were cut from our woods. Some main beams are 10"x10" and 40' long all one piece. Had to be a pretty good tree to get those. 

Only draw back was his design was more suited for loose hay which in 1955, when it was built, was already coming to an end. Lots of folks argued with his design but being stubborn and an absolutely unmovable force he said if I am building it and paying for it I'll build whatever I want. You have to admire that attitude even if you disagree !

Over the years whenever his hired hands complained about hard work he would always say if an old man like me can do it you surely can too. Of course he could back up his words with actions too. In his prime he could grab 2 bu. sacks of wheat by the top one handed and lift onto a wagon.  His initials were U.S.A. and he was very proud of that fact.

It's one of the last mortise and tenon structures built in the area, Lots of wasted loft space above but a neat piece of family history I want to preserve.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)