AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Put the bulls in with the cows today. Pics of the new Reg Angus bulls I bought in Feb.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/14/2011 10:22 (#1774006 - in reply to #1773914)
Subject: RE: Put the bulls in with the cows today. Pics of the new Reg Angus bulls I bought in Feb.

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Thanks for the reply. I understand. I know some very experienced folks in SD that calve in January - but do it in a very nice big machine shed type building bedded down with a couple feet of straw - looks like a cow hotel/maternity ward!  As I understand their system, as the calving date approaches they move the cows to a pen up close, they come into the building as they look ready to calve, then a day or two after calving go back to pasture. They cycle a large herd through this way. And like you are ready to plant come April, or May this year.

For me this year starting calving outdoors in WI in mid March is about as early as I want to go. As someone said here earlier this year - calving dates are a moving target. It would be a lot easier if we knew what the weather would be next year!

One thing I do already like about earlier calving (compared to early April in the past) is the calves are really getting big right now just as the grass is starting to come on.  Good luck with the new bulls.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 5/14/2011 10:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)