AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

can't remember for post bean spray
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 6/5/2007 09:42 (#158593 - in reply to #158310)
Subject: Re: can't remember for post bean spray

Coldwater, Michigan
Brad,

I personally put it on with the first and second pass of Roundup for my plots. I operate from the assumption that I don't want the plant to lack for anything if possible. Somethings may not be worth correcting, but Mn is a biggie. I would rather see 1 pint with the first application, and 1 pint with the second application, than 2 pints(1 Quart) on the second application.

That assumes the soil would not normally be short on Mn. Some soils are inherently short, so the application rate of Mn would need to be adjusted upward accordingly.

Also, this year I am seeing beans being sprayed very early with RU, just out of the ground nicely. If in rows, this would have most of the Mn missing the target. If solid seeded, or drilled, as soon as you have good foliage to treat would be fine with the Mn.

Does it bother the crap out of any of you when someone like me says v3-v4 stage of growth? For those who it does.... Spray your Mn, or other foliar sprays, the first time somewhere around the 3-4 trifoliate leaf stges. With a soybean plant the first set of leaves out are "Bi-Foliate" leaves. There is generally only one set of these. Most people don't even notice that they are "Bi-Foliate". The rest of the leaves are on the end of a stem, and each stem the has 3 leaves ("TriFoliate).

If you are spraying rows, 3-4 trifoliate leaf stage. If you are spraying solid seeded beans, spray anytime you have good ground coverage. Roundup inhibits the Mn uptake each time it is applied, so I like a little bit each time ( 1pint) I spray the roundup on beans.

Something else I like to do in the plots is to get more bean seeds/acre. If you spray (possibly with your RU) your beans at v3-v4, I usually include 1 pint of 10% Boron liquid. Other Boron products are available, such as Solubor, 5%, etc. I use 10% because it is available in the marketplace, and for my plots, it is easy. Usually when we use the Boron, we get 900,000 to 1,600,000 more soybean seeds/acre at harvest. Depending on your rainfall whether that translates into higher yields. But that is about as cheap as it gets. Understand, Boron scares a lot of Ag Retailers to death, so if they have it as a product, you may not find it any stonger than 5% Boron. That's fine adjust accordingly.

What you will see if you get the B just right,is lots more flowers on the plant, lots more pods on the plant, more 3& 4 seeded pods. Particularly if you are holding back on seeds planted per acre, this can be a good thing. First time I did this, I had no idea how much Boron was the target. So I applied different rates to test it out. The one area, looked so strange from what I was used to, that I wondered what was wrong with the beans. They were one flower after another, top to bottom. Probably 20-30 times the number of flowers I had ever seen on a soybean plant. If you have never seen it, it looks real strange. Scared me so much I have never used so much Boron since. Those plots did yield about 11 bushels better than the no treatment areas. You also need to understand we were using some other products in combination with the boron.

A lot of the things I do in plots, I would never recommend someone attempt to do on their own farms. However, the boron at 1 pint/acre is: 1) cheap, and 2) ups the seed count almost all the time.

I know this went way beyond the question you asked, but hopefully it has been informative for some of you.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)