AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you keep an inventory of replacement parts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 6/3/2007 21:46 (#158020 - in reply to #157756)
Subject: RE: Do you keep an inventory of replacement parts?

One man show here so I get all the credit and blame for having or not having something I need. I usually have a notepad on a clipboard close by so I can jot down anything I remove from inventory and have spare parts and pieces organized by machine and boxes. If it's not in the box for that machine I don't have it.

I usually will go through all the inventory after fall field work is done and make up a complete list of what I need to get or replace for the following year. Usually do this so I can have a complete list for when the annual parts sales go on at the beginning of the year. I also spend quite a bit of time going through machinery in late summer after wheat harvest but before fall harvest preparing machines for storage and noting anything that need repaired or replaced. I don't have a decent shop big enough to work on machinery in the winter so I try and do a lot of it in the late summer.

Nobody else messes with my inventory or cataloging of parts so everything is right where I put it or left it last. That is one of the reasons I'm able to walk right to the box with machine appropriate parts and know if i have it or not because if I did not buy it I don't have to look any further.

Insurance requires a updated list of inventory and tools every so often. So far they will allow lumping "parts on hand" under 1 item. I try to set some sort of reasonable amount for parts inventory. Hopefully they would not get too picky if there was a loss involved.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)