AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hooking up a boom switch on a 4720......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/16/2006 22:16 (#12667 - in reply to #12597)
Subject: RE: hooking up a boom switch on a 4720......

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Just today I made a cable to run a Raven SideKick with a 4700 (4720 is the same). The red wire back on the boom valves is "hot" when the valve is open. In the Raven case we essentially splice on to the red wire of each boom valve and run the wires back to the SideKick in the cab. This is sort of the "long way" around but is safer than invading Deere's scheme. In the case of the SideKick it "needs to know" which booms are ON in order to run the pump correctly. This is referred to as "Boom Sense" in Raven terminology.

Apparently you have the Application Rate module for the Insight to get the flowmeter information into the the Ag Leader system. The other three pole connector can be used with an implement switch. Instead of an implement switch a relay can be used between Pins A & B to create a Run/Hold situation. I would splice a wire onto the red wire of the center valve of the sprayer and run it back into the cab. It can be intercepted at other places but the valve is probably the safest. I would hook this wire to the coil of a small relay and ground to the other side of the coil (Pin C can be used for this). Pins A & B from the weatherpak connector on the App Rate module will go to the output contacts of the relay. The idea of using a relay is to completely separate the Ag Leader system from the Deere system.

Thus when the Center Boom Valve is ON, the coil will be energized, the points will close and a circuit will be made between Pin A & B. You will need to recreate your configuration and answer the Implement switch question as "REVERSED".

It might be tempting to tap off of the Boom switches themselves but I would follow the above route as it is safer. I get squeamish when I'm asked to invade Mother Deere's circuitry internally. If you have a problem with the sprayer you can be sure that Deere will try to blame the problem on what you have done.

One of our customers complained about the same problem and also had some logging take place driving down the road due to some movement of the flowmeter. The concept of using a flowmeter and implement switch with the Application rate module is proven and I use this idea with my own corn planter when logging varieties and starter fertilizer with a flowmeter.

I actually have some of these relay boxes made up. All you would need to do is plug the connector from my box into the Implement switch connector. There is another single wire that could be extended to go to the red wire on the middle boom valve. This would be a pretty simple way to handle the situation.

We used one of these just today with an EZ guide. The farmer has a dry fertilizer rig where he starts/stops the fertilizer with a toggle switch on the ends. The toggle switch operates some type of clutch. By using the relay box, the EZ guide will stop/start acre counting in sync with the fertilizer. Another solution here would have been to change the toggle switch to a double pole single throw type where one half runs the clutch and the other half completes the circuit for the EZ guide. In order to do this you must obtain the special cable from Trimble for this purpose. Incidentally, a closed circuit is needed between pins B&C on the Trimble harness to start acre counting.

Edited by tedbear 5/16/2006 22:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)