AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Working on Dawn Gfx install
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

joeatdawn
Posted 4/15/2011 17:59 (#1726104 - in reply to #1724431)
Subject: RE: Working on Dawn Gfx install

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this guys. A couple of points:

For most people the triangle shaped stripper is not going to be a critical component and can be omitted. Generally on GFX installations I recommend that it be left off.

In practice it is impossible to make a unit that fits the extent of the Deere product range and has the right articulation without making contact with the row unit at some points in the range of motion. For instance the unit has to be able to fit behind the tires on a DB bar and fit with the Deere single disk fert opener. You will find that in operation the unit has constant pressure holding it down.

Regarding the spring rate. Like I said before the GFX row cleaner started out several years ago with a return spring rate that is 30-40% higher than it is now. The original thinking was that it was most critical to fully lift the unit out of the ground. However in practice the way it has worked out is the GFX geometry is so effective at preventing the row cleaner from gouging that it has made us shift the operating range to being more aggressive for heavy corn stalks while simply maintaining the ability to hold the row cleaner weightless. I have never had a complaint that the GFX is furrowing or otherwise moving more soil than someone wants however I have had complaints that people wished it was more aggressive.

You can change the return spring rate, FYI, and I have several options. I provide what will produce the best balance of performance across a wide range of conditions. You can even change your accumulator precharge to change the stiffness of the suspension.

I think we talked on the phone today. Definitely call me with follow up when you get to the field.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)