AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Someone was........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

rocfarms
Posted 4/4/2011 20:34 (#1708595 - in reply to #1708526)
Subject: Re: Someone was........

Central WI
I don't see how anyone can possibly say how this years crop will turn out............it's April.......it's wet.........it's cold........planters haven't even hit the fields. In my own situation, I hold my breathe until everything is planted.......then how it comes up........then if we can get some heat and timely rains through pollination......then some good weather into fall and then finally.............. hold my breathe and hope for the best when the combines start rolling. When the trucks roll across the scale, then I know for sure what I got. 2003 was the one year I threw any and everything I could at growing the best crop ever...........spent every dime on every technology.......every top hybrid.........all the fertilizer plus some........well you know what, that fall broke my heart with what was the worst crop I had ever grown. The local suppliers did ok that year selling me all the best hybrids, extra fertilizer and magic potions that went on...........but the crop never turned out because I couldn't pray enough or bribe God to make it rain. Ever since then, I go with the program that I know will work for me and my land. I still try to do the best with what I got.........and I think the same holds true for most farmers.......but we still need some luck and a blessing from above for it to turn out. Truth is no one knows how this years crop will turn out.........look at how the USDA and all the experts blew it last fall going into harvest, not last spring, but right before the combines started rolling. They thought.....looking at mature cornfields, that we had 163-165 bushel corn. They were wrong within days of harvest.........we still got 6-7 months before next harvest......a lot can happen or not happen between now and then. Lets pray for a good year for everyone. And that concludes my rant for today.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)