AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Did not buy excavator, was it the right decison?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 3/10/2011 10:58 (#1662162)
Subject: Did not buy excavator, was it the right decison?

Manitoba
Some of you may have seen my posts last couple weeks about a 94 case 9030 excavator we were looking at. It's a little older but was in very nice shape. (original paint, no welds anywhere) 10 000 hours but motor rebuild 2 years ago (believe it is a cummins 590 but don't have the papers on front of me) , brand new runners and drive sprockets underneath. (no hours on new undercarriage compnents) It is plumbed for hydraulic thumb / hydraulic wrist. Without bucket the dealer was initially listing it with thumb for 45 000 CDN. I had him price it with him keeping the thumb and finding me a used bucket (6 foot ditching) and he came back without thumb with new bucket at same price. (he did not have any used buckets) Without thumb / no bucket @ $ 40 000.

I had an excavator operator who in the past has done all our work for us operate it / look it over at the dealer and he told me that everthing looked to be good (although to really know he'd have to work it for a few hours)

Anyway I said no thanks but I'm 2nd guessing myself. Dad wanted me to buy it, he does not want to end up with a piece of junk broken down in the middle of the lagoon. The price seems out of line to me but its hard without experience with these machines to know. In my head from watching auctions and past results I was looking to pay + / - 25 000 depending on unit. But going that route there is more risk plus getting the thing freighted here will cost me a fair bit unless it happens to really close. And it seems construction equip here is always more $ than I see prices going for in the states. The parts (not labour) for the undercarriage were 10 000 according to dealer but that does not mean an increase in machine value dollar for dollar / although in my head I am guessing it adds at least 5000 to 7500 value, maybe a bit more. So between the undercarriage work and motor rebuild I would think 10 000 additional value which would put me at 35 000 (using my 25 000 starting point I was looking to pay for a used machine)

So I'm wondering what you guys think. I don't have to have it now but would like to see one here by aug / sep for when we get working on our lagoon cleanout. (sand out of lagoon) but I'm sure I would find a fair bit of work for it over the spring / summer if it was here. And I can watch the auctions and take a risk on an older unit for less $ but I don't want a piece of junk either that I am always fixing. Your thoughts?

thanks, martin

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)