AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Airport check in
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

torn
Posted 3/6/2011 21:04 (#1654806 - in reply to #1653874)
Subject: Re: Airport check in

roaming
First, not all airports (or all terminals at any given airport) have the x-ray scanners. But when they do, I choose the pat-down. Partly because I don't feel the need for extra radiation, and partly to make a statement. First you go through the standard metal detector, and then they wave you toward the backscatter machine. That's when you request the pat down, if you want to. They don't ask (or haven't in my experience), so if you want to opt out, it's up to you to speak up.

The pat down is not at all invasive, at least the ones I have had. The worst part of the whole experience is when they look at you like you're a complete moron for choosing the patdown, ask you if you understand exactly what is going to happen, and then they holler - at a volume usually resolved for county fair hog-calling contests - "got an opt-out over here!!!". Then you're pulled aside until the lucky TSA agent gloves up and comes to get you. Then you wait until all of your luggage clears the belt, and the TSA officer gathers it all together nearby. You have the option for a private scan, but I've never requested it. The screener explains what he's going to do, and then he does it. I've had more physical contact during a basketball game. And not once have I had anyone check the bottom of my feet...

In my mind, the x-ray is clearly superior as far as detecting items that might be concealed on a person. Were I the betting kind, I would bet that I could get contraband through the pat down without much of a problem.

The biggest inconvenience is the extra time it takes, but still, within 5 minutes you're on your way, no worse the wear and with a new life experience to talk about...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)