AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Obsevation, perception and venting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

raider2b
Posted 5/6/2007 12:59 (#146972)
Subject: Obsevation, perception and venting

North Dakota
I work for a dealer that has been selling GPS equipment for about 10 years, so although I don't consider myself an expert I do have a bit of experience. The first equipment to have GPS was combine yield monitors working on C-band that was lucky to be within 20 feet and most were happy but others were not. Then came lightbars running on WAAS or beacon and most were happy but others were not. Now we have autopilot, EZ-Guide and EZ-Steer. All our customers run on WAAS and most are happy but a few are not.

When we sell a system everyone asks, how accurate it is, will they be able to plant row crops with WAAS, we tell them that there are a few that are planting with it but I discourage them from planting with WAAS only, because they may not be happy with the results. The usual response is, I have been using EZ-Steer on my drill for 2 years and it is right on the money.

Case in point: This year we installed autopilot systems in 6 MX tractors (215-255) all planting 1000-1500 acres of row crops with WAAS only. 3 are so happy they feel it was the best purchase they made this year, 2 feel it planted close enough for them and one wants me to pull the autopilot and put EZ-Steer back in. For the unhappy one I offered to put in an Omnistar antenna and give them a 3 day trial, his response was if his neighbor is happy with WAAS why can't we make his work the same way. Well, out comes the yard stick and we walk about 2 miles in his and his neighbors fields. His guess rows were from 26-36" wide, within the advertised 8-10" pass to pass for WAAS. His neighbors fields we had trouble even finding the guess rows, none of them were 30", his planter is so wore out that all the rows varied 3-4" each way. I told him that if he wants his the same way he would have to trade his new planter in for an old wore out one.

OBSERVATION: WAAS is good enough for a drill or tillage but may not work for you in planting. You cannot get RTK accuracy for WAAS price.

PERCEPTION: For an owner; Accuracy, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

VENT: Don't get mad at me when the system operates within the advertised spec, there is only so much I can do. If you want perfect rows get ready to spend a bit cash. More accuracy = more money!

Yes, I do feel better now!
We have had about 2" rain over the last 3 days and the farmers are in a better mood today. about half the crop is in and by the end of the week if there is no more rain a few will be done putting in their crops.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)