AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What tires should I buy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ChrisTN
Posted 12/21/2010 08:40 (#1498354 - in reply to #1497763)
Subject: Re: What tires should I buy?

Ethridge, TN
I used to have good luck with the Mastercraft tires, made by Cooper, when I lived in Ohio. Down here, with the gravel roads in the bottoms, it absolutely ate them alive. Just literally chewed the rubber right off of them, and most of the time, it was just the truck going from point A to B. Ended up going to Firestone Transforce AT's to get something I could get some wear out of. Farm truck is a 2000 Dodge 3500 Dually 4x4 5.9 Cummins, flatbed. Also put them on our better truck, 07.5 Dodge 3500 Quad-cab dually 4x4 6.7 Cummins Pick-up style, which mostly runs paved roads. Going to wear the ones out on the farm truck first, as the others have been on now for almost a year, and hardly show much wear, but at least the ones on the farm truck look like they'll get thru the spring before I need to replace them, and will be close to 2 years. I'd have to do some digging to see where I', actually at on miles, but the last set of Mastercrafts barely made it 8 months.

On semis, we run Generals, basically for the same reason, wear on the gravel. Only tire that will not just disappear by being chewed up on those trucks. Even the steer tires are Generals, as this stuff will take them apart. Had Firestone truck tires on these rigs originally, and had the same problems I was having with the Mastercrafts on the small truck.

Our tire guy from Best One in Jackson, really helped us out by recommending the tire with the correct rubber compounds that would take what this gravel can throw at them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)