AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What tires should I buy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

FlyLow
Posted 12/20/2010 22:20 (#1497905 - in reply to #1497763)
Subject: Please let me know when you find that perfect tire...

South Texas

Dear zkeele,

I need another 5 for my Dodge dually.  Got one Michelin 235/80 R17 M/S II on a lucky find after another one of the original General's tossed its tread.  (No, I'll never buy Generals--these came with the truck and are junk after 50K or less.)

Wally World just de-listed Michelins from their website, at least for that size.  Would have been a little under $300 a tire but with full road hazard warranty. 

I currently run Mich 245/75 R 16 M/S on my old Chevy Z-71.  Have 64K on them now and they look like they'll make around 80K.  Just to show the price increases, this set was installed Jun '05 for under $650.  This truck gets a lot of rough service on poor roads so I'm reasonably pleased.  I used to run Mich's on an '85 Pontiac station wagon used for commuting and would be ticked off if I didn't get 100K, so that's my expectation.

I needed a quick set for Mom's Burb for a long trip so ended up with Uniroyals.  The set of Mich's were pretty good, (60K on them).  I couldn't toss the old set so they're in the shed and I'll finish them off on the truck later. The Uniroyals have 20 K and the front ones are good but the back set are chunking out due to, I suspect, some heavy foot when on the gravel roads. Don't think I'll try Uniroyal's again.

From the many posts here on NAT, opinions vary widely, but apparently we haven't found the perfect tire yet.  I am wondering if there was some recent tarriff action on imported tires.  All imports, including Mich, seem to be affected.  My local tire guy claims Toyo or Yokohamas are good.

Best of luck on finding what works for you.  I'm still trying to figure out how to pay for the M/S IIs.  <grin>

Take care.  Stetts  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)