AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmers can be so stupid revisited and I guess I am naieve.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

McCartman
Posted 12/5/2010 11:48 (#1469098 - in reply to #1468801)
Subject: Re: Farmers can be so stupid revisited and I guess I am naieve.

The first off-farm job I had - company brags about their open door policy. They told us at orientation that if we have a concern or an idea, do not be afraid to say something. I took that literally. After a month or so of working there, I began to see what I thought were some really dumb things going on - inefficiency, etc. So I started bringing these things up. I did it in a diplomatic way - I wasn't standing there saying "I think this is dumb", but rather, "Why are we doing it this way and wouldn't that way be better" type of approach. Wasn't long and I come to realize that I was getting under their skin. So I learned to keep my mouth shut and be more selective about what concerns I expressed. This has worked out much better, but it is EXTREMELY frustrating to watch this stuff going on when you know (or think) there are better ways.

I had a guy tell me once that famers are unemployable. I've seen farmers quit, take jobs in town, and in a couple of months, they are buying cattle again. It can be done, but you just need to learn how to deal with the BS. And what I have just mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg - learning how to deal with a-hole coworkers is a real challenge too. Just have to ignore them, go on about your business with the attitude that when your shift is over you leave it all behind and on Friday the pay check will be there. It is very hard after working for yourself to go into a situation where you have little to no control over how things are done and having to deal with people with completely different mind-sets.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)