AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cat 95E scraper tractor, ok or walk away
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 4/12/2007 09:24 (#135173 - in reply to #134912)
Subject: RE: Cat 95E scraper tractor, OK or walk away

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

If you need a tractor for heavy pulling fieldwork, the 95E is about as good as it gets. Good cab, as compared to the D models and the 12 liter engine was known to be fuel stingy. It was Nebraska test economy champ for a few years.

You see 95Es listed for around the $100K on dealer's lots. How far this one deviates from that will depend on what needs doing to bring it up to snuff. Scraper tractor might have tracks that need replacing. $15K should get you into a brand new set. As far as hours pulling a scraper vs. hours doing field work, I don't necessarily see one as being harder on the tractor than the other. Lot will depend on the operator and the maintenance schedule. Unlike a 4WD, there is no hinge joint. The hinge joint is replaced by the hydraulic steering motor on a Cat and my guess would be that the steering circuitry would be less abused on a scraper tractor than it would be on a field tractor because you wouldn't be turning under full load while loading a scraper. Once the pan is full and up on wheels the steering becomes much easier. The other big difference in a track vs. wheel machine is the 4WD needs four finals; each of which has to be capable of transmitting the full HP of the motor, all by itself. Today's manufacturers have reached this conclusion, but because any extra beef put into the final has to be done to four units, they will skimp a bit in order to keep costs down. The Cat has only two finals. Again either of them needs to be capable of transmitting the entire load. Because there are only two of them and because the large frames tend to be over-built anyways, there will be much more extra there than in any 4WD I've ever seen.

In my opinion, 5,000 hours on a large frame Cat isn't nearly as significant as the same hours on a 4WD.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)