AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Panasonic Toughbook questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 4/7/2007 08:54 (#132444 - in reply to #129261)
Subject: broke a couple

Rolla, ND
I've had CF-25 and CF-71 models.

Biggest complaint I would have is that the screen hinges aren't what I would consider good. A lot of free play in them.

The keyboards are susceptible to dust. If you don't keep the dirt out of them the keys will stick and quit working.

Also had a quirk in the CF-71 that even with the infrared port disabled, if they are pointed in the sun in the morning, On startup the cursor will be wild. You have to restart with the computer not pointed into the sun.

Had one die due to a sharp hit, not against the computer but against some metal the computer was touching and had another which the screen and keypad went bad. Screen was still coming back to life when the keypad froze up. I had a spare of the same model so I switched out the harddrive.

The gel mounted harddrive and such seem like a good idea but we haven't had any more trouble with non-hardened laptops.

If you are going to drive on them the toughbooks are definitely the way to go.

So I would say they are pretty tough but definitely not indestructible. If you can pick up used ones reasonable it's a good way to go but they don't seem to me to worth the price they are new.

Haven't had a touchscreen model.

Screens are okay but you do need to get them mounted where the sun won't shine on them too much, many cabs have dark enough tint to the glass that it isn't much of a problem.

Marv
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)