AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Geo-Thermal cost difference
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 9/29/2010 07:52 (#1378061 - in reply to #1377848)
Subject: RE: Geo-Thermal cost difference

central - east central Minnesota -

77 Farmer - 9/28/2010 22:32 I got three quotes on a new Geo system installed in our new house. Two bids were 3 ton units and the other was 5 ton. The 3 ton bids were = WaterFurnace horizontal loop, two zone system for $23,000 and the other was a Carrier GT-PX with 3 vertical wells, three zone system for $18,500. Makes me wonder what is wrong with the Carrier unit? Or is the WaterFurnace able to keep selling at the higher price just because of its name? The other bid was a 5 ton Waterfurnace for $27000. The house is 2000 sq ft with a full basement. They all asked me what kind of insulation and windows i was installing. I am planning on 2 in of sprayfoam and then fill the rest of the 2x6 wall with blown in fiberglass. The windows will be either Anderson 400 series casements or Marvin casements. All the companies told me to put 2 inch insullation on outside walls and under basement floor. Any thoughts on the different units? Thanks

What is the break down on their expences? What the charge for wells, mechanical, duct work, air exchangers, ect . . . I too wonder (in your climate) why the differences in bids between the 3 ton and 5 ton units. If you get a 3 ton unit and it's not large enough and you need back up heat, well, that's just a waste, you'd loose all your energy savings. Daughter and SIL's system is large enough (in our cold winters) to NOT need back up or suplimental heat. It common to undersize a unit to get the job and then you lose all the advantage when your back up heat needs to kick in using other more expensive energy source. I would also consider 2 in spray foam in ceiling and fiberglass on top of that - they you have a complete sealed home. As far as wells . . . I don't recall, do you have room to dig a field for coil loop system. As I posted before, wells are the most expensive way to go (in our area) about 3 time more then digging a loop field EDIT: As long as you do not live in sandy gravel - loop fields do not do as well in gravel and in those cases, wells would be more effeciant. Gravel loop fields will work, it would require more loops though and generally it would cost less to do wells at that point. .. .  .

Edited by iseedit 9/29/2010 08:53

(Copy of P9240065.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Copy of P9240065.JPG (79KB - 43 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)