AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chemistry. Mixing basic and acidic nutrient solutions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 9/29/2010 09:00 (#1378138 - in reply to #1378040)
Subject: RE: Chemistry. Mixing basic and acidic nutrient solutions?

Luke, perhaps this will help answer your question.  http://www.simplot.com/agricultural/plant/upload/Ammon-Nitrate-20-0-0.pdf  It has a "compatability" paragraph down the page a bit. It appears 10-34-0 is compatible with the AN solution 20-0-0.

Some 25 years ago now, when my mother was selling the farm, I needed something to do for a while untill farmers started looking for help in the late spring. The local chem/fert dealer needed help, so I worked there for a few months. I was sort of put in charge of the liquid fert blending/melting station, which at that time was a real "state of the art" setup. The owner had this station built for making some serious liquids normally either not made and the growers had to seek other options for their needs, or it was custom ordered in at very high cost.

I had the opportunity, under supervision, to melt several fertilizers into a solution. One was 34-0-0 into water to make a 17-0-0 solution for the broccoli growers. I melted lots of urea to a 21-0-0. The mixing vat would have a half inch of ice on it when I finished the melt even using warm water. Even though I was too stupid to see the importance of what I was doing and retain some of the knowledge for the future, I did have that extreme curiosity for the science that I think is why the owner put me in charge at the time and gave me some real puzzlers to blend. I wish I had that opportunity opened up to me today. I would virtually pay to do that work again, and gain the knowledge.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)