AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

winter wheat fertilizer ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 8/25/2010 10:23 (#1331578 - in reply to #1330851)
Subject: Re: winter wheat fertilizer ???

Southeast Colorado
Our local Colorado State University has been doing a long term trial on Phos in dryland wheat here. In the last couple of years I have started following the program that had the best $ benefit that they have concluded to this point. I put on 60 actual lbs of P broadcast. The co-op applied it for me at the same price you stated. However, in theory, the P should be adequate now for at least 3 crops. That way you can divide your application costs over several years. Our results in the first couple of years has been outstanding. We have raised the best wheat ever. We have recieved a little above moisture, which is usually in short supply, but the difference compared to NH3 alone was substantial. The P built a root system under that wheat that really allowed it to get through a couple of dry spells. Our ground here is in a 2 crops out of 3 years rotation. Wheat-Milo-Fallow. My original intent was to not apply P again until after growing 3 crops. However, after this year's 70 bu wheat, I will test because their could have been quite a bit of P uptake. Besides, that good of wheat leaves a little money in your pocket! We did apply 50 lbs of N with NH3 using a sweep plow with pickers to help incorporate the broadcast P in the summer before planting. The wheat looked good enough this spring that we top dressed an additional 30 lbs N liquid in late March. You could be flexible on the top dress if the wheat didn't look so good come spring. I think we still would have achieved very good yields without the topdress but eventually the less N would catch up to you anyway. We had 60 lbs of P broadcast on another 1000 acres this spring and are getting ready to plant in a couple of weeks. The ground looks good with a full profile of moisture right now so I have high hopes for next year. The only problem I would have with waiting this close to planting to broadcast your P would be the tracks the spreader leaves. By doing it early you don't even notice them at planting time. Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)