AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value from seed dealer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 8/26/2010 00:10 (#1332723 - in reply to #1331455)
Subject: Re: Value from seed dealer

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Respecfully ,I would say you are missing out on the newest of products. Products that for me came out of chile this year. I get a few plot bags and divide them up as best as possible and put them against the old standbys side by side in dealers plots. Then I compare my district data and data from other districts along with Elite trail data from the company( one and 2 yr averages )and seed growers whole field yields and by the next year we are selling these products. The only farmers that actually get to test these products on whole fields are the seed growers. So if you want higher yields on soybeans being a seed grower gets the new lines faster, one year ahead of everyone else. This is why I'm a seed grower, I get to see these lines in field situations and data from plots to make recs for farmers the next yr. There is no other way to select new lines. It IS the best way. New lines that are released have to meet criteria of yield at least 6 yrs straight before I even see them. The criteria is yield in mult-location,multi-replication, multi -year testing. To be released a new variety has to outyield the older lines and be in the upper % of yield consistantly. You might say one in a million chance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)