AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Storage question for guys that are spread out.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

kb ag
Posted 8/22/2010 20:31 (#1327596)
Subject: Storage question for guys that are spread out.

nc ks
I am not nearly as spread out as a lot of you guys on here are I am sure, but I have to travel right by a couple elevators on the way home from fields and go another 5-10 miles to the home place. I would like to build storage but it would actually slow down truck turnaround on at least 50% of my acres. If you figure that storage doesn't have that much value for harvesting ease(these elevators are usually very good about staying open late during crunch time), do you feel like you can still easily pay for the facilities based on basis improvement and picking your delivery destination based on current bids? I usually have one hired truck at harvest that is going to the terminal elevator 35 miles away to capture that basis difference and to keep from having to look for another employee. I was really regretting not having my own storage last fall due to the higher moisture of the grain and the discounts i was getting, but when I figured up that total discount at the end of harvest, I don't think it would pay the interest and electricity for my own facility. By the way, we are in an area that 3-5 points above standard moisture is about as bad as it gets. I am all for investment if we can make money on it. We do our own spraying and have fertilizer storage and have a shop facility-- none of these which I would want to farm without. Would I feel this way about a grain facility? I would not have a drier, just would have very good air on several bins to bring down that 3- 5 points of moisture or at least keep it in condition.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)