AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

96 powerstroke problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sdan27
Posted 8/18/2010 23:09 (#1321742 - in reply to #1321665)
Subject: Re: 96 powerstroke problem

Check easy mechanical things first. You should have at least 50 psi fuel pressure at the schrader valve thats on the side of the filter housing. If you remove the fuel pressure regulator ( held on by two 10mm bolts where the schrder valve is ) there is a wire mesh screen behind there that often gets plugged. Before spending all that money on a high pressure pump, it is very easy to test. Get a gauge that reads up to 5000 psi and plumb it into one of the ports on either cylinder head. The ports on the cylinder head are #5 ORB fittings. I think you need at least 600-800 psi to start the engine. If you're not getting the high pressure oil you should be, could be a bad ipr valve or you could have a leak in your high pressure system somewhere. If your high pressure oil is low, you can isolate each head by plugging the line from pump to each head to get a better idea where the problem is. I've found IPR valves online for about $150. The IPR valve is on the lower, back side of the high pressure pump. The ICP valve, that reads the high pressure could be bad too. If you unplug it and the truck will start, it's bad. That sensor is on the driver's side cylinder head and has a three pin harness going into it. If it blows out, the upper injector o-ring is a common place for the high pressure system to leak. If you can get the engine running and remove the valve covers it is usually pretty easy to see which o-ring might be leaking. Whenever I've had a starting problem, usually checking through all that I'll find my problem. A bad cam sensor can act real goofy at times and that could be the issue too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)