AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Field Pea residue management
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JDLUVR
Posted 8/12/2010 14:10 (#1312180)
Subject: Field Pea residue management

SW Manitoba.
We grow about 1000 to 1500 acres of field peas every year. This year, our peas are flat on the ground due to excessive rain and wind and we cannot pick up some of pea vines while combining. We have had issues in the past with this and it mkaes it nearly impossible to seed into this remaining vine next spring. We have used a disc drill in the past to Slice the pea straw ahead of the airdrill.

I am wanting to know if there is a company that manufactures a tool bar with large discs (Straight, not waved) to slice the pea straw so we don't plug up the airdrill with straw. We want a large disc so we can travel at higher speeds and would like something that is a decent width (50-60 feet).

I know some of you will suggest other ideas, so I will clarify now for those of you who don"t grow peas that you cannot harrow pea stubble, it doesn't work. We don't want to disc it as that leaves a rough seed bed and dry out our soil (Although we are not exactly dry at the moment!) and we would prefer not to burn the residue either

Any help would be appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)