AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SmartStax
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

isuagstud
Posted 7/28/2010 14:13 (#1291486 - in reply to #1291473)
Subject: RE: SmartStax

Colo, IA
wwfarms - 7/28/2010 14:05

I completely agree with you on the subject of planting the same corn family in VT3 and SS beside eachother. The breadwinner in our area has been 46-60 (96 day) corn. We have a quarter that's averaged 200 bushel the last 2 rotations of corn which in our area is top end yield. This year on that field I planted 80 acres of a split planter of 46-60 and the new SS version 46-61 beside eachother so I'm hoping that should tell me all I need to know. Sometimes I hope it doesn't do any better, I'm not against higher yielding corn but I'd hate to have to have another reason to give them $30 more a bag.

The early reports is have been hearing is that the roots have looked much better than the VT3 roots of the same families which is actually surprising many Monsanto reps. The VT3 has been a very good product and they were not expecting a big leap in root mass. They were mostly expecting a better product because of the reduced refuge and corn earworm protection. They were not expecting much in root mass improvement but it has been noticeable. Time will tell if that means more yield or not.

I put 61-19 and 61-21 on the same farm side by side across about 60 similar to what you did and am curious to see the results. If it is not better on my farm or on other peoples' farms, it will not sell well and it should not sell well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)