AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Freezenotis forecast
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 7/23/2010 22:28 (#1285592 - in reply to #1285546)
Subject: Re: Freezenotis forecast

Southeast Colorado
Thanks for your answer. I wish my ancestors had decided to farm in a more stable area. Oh well, it has been my choice to stay here. Honestly though, I really don't see how anybody could just pick up and begin farming somewhere else unless you are going from a great area to somewhere worse. There is just too many dollars involved in start up costs any more. That being said, I have been really itchy to pull the trigger on future wheat sales. I'm sure I will do some soon but the past couple of years has really messed with my head. Like I said before, this area is really volatile. In the last ten years I have experienced two periods of 11 months with NO rainfall and 1 time we went 8 months without any. A great year here gives us 13 or 14" of rain. With the wild market swings of over $10 wheat recently, how much would you contract at $5.23(the price offered locally today) knowing that you might not see a rain until this time next year. If wheat was to move to $12 like it did 2 years ago and I had nothing to give them I would be finished. I know this is all in a day's work of being a farmer but just thought I'd throw that out there. Again, thanks for the reply. I'm glad things are working out good for you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)