AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to wheat.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

GAW46
Posted 7/17/2010 03:56 (#1276592 - in reply to #1276515)
Subject: RE: New to wheat.....

It only took me 40 yrs. to learn what you want to know

Find a time between now andseeding time

Preferably right after harvest in your area and find a reputable buyer

Ask your questions to the buyer, sooner the better, because you need time to decide your best management decision. Last minute decisions have less chance of success, on a new venture

Don't be afraid to think about the answers and go back for clarification, unless they think of you as a bother. Then pick a different buyer, if they turn you off.

Don't pick a large buyer, unless they got the time and personal to answer, but look for somebody that has the time. You may or may not be important to them, on a one time basis. I don't know what else you sell.

The reason I say to go to your buyer is because the situation is so different in so many regions and even what the buyer wants, that local is the best answer. You could try an extension rep

A trip to the coffee shop might be one time that some good would come of coffee shop talk
Such as who might be a good buyer to approach for straight answers. That might be somebody else some short distance away.

P.S. Is there any other crop you could plant and give the ground a 2 yr, rotation, before going back in and plant the wheat and hay??? Ist yr. something else that will conserve your ground soil etc. and then the wheat followed by hay

Don't expect big returns
Just hire most of it done and chalk it up to expense against the hay crop,
You might find some basic equip. and then sell it when done, but I always buy for too much and sell for too little

Consider renting the equip.

Drilling into hay that has been recently cut and sprayed with RR works most times in our area, but sometimes you do lose some of it and you would want to re-plant to save the soil with something else, like a cover crop

Watch out for erosion on new seeding if that might be a problem. I prefer RR rather than tillage in what you describe for hills and valleys. Also gives something to hold the soil.Don't expect to have everything be perfect, but trying now, for the answers is a good start to your management approach
I have seen some rough crops turn out to be a really good hay crop
I have seen some cut the roataion crop as a hay crop and sell it as green feed, or dry feed, in round bales instead of doing the normal harvest of grain Makes more use of your present equip. and you know more about that end of the operation. That mean you could hire somebody to spray and plant your 250 acre crop, and sell it like you know how to do it.

Just rambling on and take what seems to work for you

Just curious. How do you grow quality hay without a sprayer???
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)