AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sulfur deficiency in corn on corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 6/7/2010 10:43 (#1227712 - in reply to #1227621)
Subject: Re: Sulfur deficiency in corn on corn

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
IL Corn - 6/7/2010 09:03

SL,

Are you comfortable using fall applied AMS as your sole source of S for the crop year? We have been experimenting with spring applied Thio-Sul, but fall applied AMS would be much easier.

Your thoughts on rates and timing would be appreciated...

Also in a thread below you mention always combining K with your N applications. Somewhere in the past I've read that a 1:1 ratio of applied N:K was ideal. Do you abide buy any such ratio?

Thanks.

Good question IL corn
1. I would like to visit about even Looking at a soil analysis to determine S. Needs and correlate YIELD ??? It can NOT be done consistently !!!
WHY ? Marginal Fields, Farms, areas in a Field with Poor drainage or slow Percolation rates, allow for the Build up of not only S. but Bicarb's , salt
So, If One sees HIGH, Or adequate S. ??? I think Of Poor yields and Usually poor weed control also !!! At times

2. Now If one Adds S. in adequate amounts, and the weather is decent ? You will see a dark, black, dark Blue Corn Leaf Indicating , I believe ???
Maximum Growth, Maximum Plant health and Maximum Photosynthesis ??? All Just observations by Plant Pathologist and soil scientist, reading journals and visiting with corn growers in the pacific North west that irrigate and grow 250 to 300 Bu. corn ! and have for many years !!
Many and Most applying 100 to 150 Lbs of S. per Corn crop !

3. Fall or spring S ??? If one has an Organic matter level of 3 to 6 Plus and you have made the, what some call No-Till , or Minimum till Transition ?
Such as many see with Strip till and Minimum till
I think More N. and S. can be stable ? through the winter into spring
I have stated many times on this site

especially corn on corn 25 to 30 % N in the late fall !!! Regardless , The soil will require So Much N !!! To decompose Previous residue
The balance in the spring Before, or at Planting ???
Remember, High Magnesium soils, More N and S. may be required to grow a bu of Corn ??? Just an Opinion ???

If You believe, as some researchers do ?? that S. is and can be a soil amendment ? Improving and forming Nitrogen fixing bacteria ???

Then applied S. is More than a Plant Nutrient and I consider it a Critical element to help Compost Wheat and corn residue to recycle and allow maximum Organic feeding of Nutrients to the Plant the following spring in some specific situations.

Remember, S. has been used for various Purposes for Thousands of years around the globe ??? as a natural Insecticide to Increasing the Wool quality in sheep by applying S. to Pasture land.

Yes, Ill Corn, splitting the application, As You suggest, does and Can work and many More on this site are doing just that and have been for many years with satisfactory results ! Remember, S. is only one of many ????? and they all work together for a Purpose !!!!

I think we all have Much to Learn !!!! and this site allows for very good and open discussions !!! I certainly have learned Much !!! from many of YOU
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)