AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CaseIH 1250 planter pop erratic on windy days??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

marbro1
Posted 5/6/2010 00:19 (#1187335)
Subject: CaseIH 1250 planter pop erratic on windy days??

Southwest Iowa
This is our 3rd year running a CaseIH 1250 vac planter with the bulk fill. The past 3 or 4 days, it's been fairly windy here with gusts reaching 30-40 mph according to the radio. I've noticed that when I'm planting against the wind, or the wind is blowing on me from a 90 degree angle, my row populations stay almost perfect. As soon as I start planting in the direction the wind is blowing though, I've got anywhere from 1-4 sometimes 5 rows that according to my monitor, are over planting, enough that it sets the alarm off for the monitor.

I've gone out and dug in some of those over populated rows and have seen a variance in spacing, but not necessarily population. We were almost done with corn with a few chances of rain scattered throughout the past few days, so I didn't take the time to dig more or fiddle with the planter like I would've had it been the start of the season. So if those rows are worse than the others, it's just something that we'll have to live with this year.

My question is has others noticed this happening also? I heard of one guy in the area that runs a new Deere and said he had something similar going on, so I'm not sure that it's just not a "color" related incident. For those of you that have had this happen too, what did you do to correct it? Got any tips or pointers that I could use for next year to avoid this happening again?

Thanks for your replies!

Marbro1
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)