AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Greenstar ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/28/2007 23:14 (#112772 - in reply to #112714)
Subject: Mindset

Pittsburg, Kansas

Don, I think it has to do with the current mindset of the precision ag manufacturers. The idea seems to be have a very expensive box and to justify such an expensive box use it in many applications/many machines. This is ok for one man, one combine, one planter operations but it works poorly the farther south you go where operations tend to be more multiple operators/multiple machines. I would much prefer to go the "electronics are cheap so lets make them in large numbers, black box job specific, stay with the machine , one in every machine". After saying that I have just purchased and UPS delivered two new Insights and they are sitting in the office waiting to be explored tomorrow and we will be switching them around in machines. If those things could be made in quanity, based on what a laptop or other computer sells for, they should be selling for about a fourth of what they cost now. Then it would be easy to justify one for each machine, permanently mounted, like it should be.

We are already learning of the limitations of running two Insights and trying to meld the data (like having both planters planting info melded together so both combines could see all the varieties planted by both planters).

I guess once we get a taste of what these things "could" do we would like them to do all we "want" them to do and as usual the programmers are quite a ways behing the hardware capabilities.

John

John

Edited by John Burns 2/28/2007 23:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)