AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Notil Canola into Hayfield
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

EJB ( SK )
Posted 4/15/2010 23:38 (#1163840 - in reply to #1163366)
Subject: RE: Notil Canola into Hayfield

I had exactly that situation in 2009. Picked up a quarter just before seeding with a old stand of pasture with a bit of alfalfa left in it. First job was to deal with the Ground squirrels - the old stricnine was under special use here so spent about ten days out there a couple of hours a day at that. Then used a hay float to flatten badger hills and gopher mounds. Then 750 g(1.5 litres) of Touchdown. Then planted RRcanola with Seedhawk. Field was very hard and dry and narrow shanks did not move enough earth to allow press wheels to pack seed bed. Almost nothing came up. I seeded early May and was about to write it off( early June) when the local agrologist said just leave it it's supposed to rain next week. He counted 15 plants per square yard but lots of viable seed. It did rain the next week(about June 10) and quite a bit. The grass and a lot of legumes started coming back so I hit it with another 500g of touchdown. I put another 250g on incrop. The plant stand made up for the thin crop by branching out but it did turn into a fair crop. Ended up yielding about 25 bus. A branched out canola stand is very difficult to swath when the branches are low on the plant. It just wants to slide underneath the knife. Anyway, I sprayed it again in October with 500g and I will see in a couple of weeks what is left growing. By the way, Syngenta rep turned his back on me after the first spraying. He said I was not useing the recommended application which would have been the fall before when I did not have the land. I'd hate to add up all the dollars I spent. I hope it pays off in this years crop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)