AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

presentation on soil acidity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hayinhere
Posted 4/6/2010 01:11 (#1151734 - in reply to #1150445)
Subject: Re: presentation on soil acidity

Central NE

Nice presentation as always JB,

and excellent question Jared. 

I have been doing some experimenting very recently on my farm, and I am seeing some very interesting trends with exciting implications on my high PH soils.

On one plot I soil tested 0-8" topsoil, and 6-10'(foot) subsoil.  I then had a topsoil soil sample done as well as a manure type of test to show total nutrients.  I did the same on the subsoil sample.

Here are some results from this plot and some observations:

1. PH of topsoil was 7.7, while subsoil was 8.5

2. OM of topsoil was 3.0, while subsoil was 1.1

3. Phosphorus on soil test was 24ppm on topsoil and 7ppm on subsoil BUT on a manure type of test, Phosphorus levels DID NOT CHANGE with depth at 1500ppm from top to bottom!!!

4. With no fertilizer, corn crop produced over 200 on topsoil plot, but no harvestable corn on the subsoil plot.

After looking through the soil tests, it seems the difference between a corn yield of 200 and 0 on my soil and a soil test P of 24ppm vs 7ppm and a PH of 8.5 vs 7.7 can be attributed to a difference of 2% organic matter.

I am further convinced that adding phosphorus (a limiting nutrient "here") or AA to soil such as my subsoil to grow a crop would be a band aid, The fix is increasing OM which will change the the soil test results as a result.  Just like Jarods lime will change the way his soil tests albeit slowly. 

Fire away.

Tim

I posted pictures of these plots earlier http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=155464&posts=9#M1116348

Edited by Hayinhere 4/6/2010 01:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)