AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

presentation on soil acidity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 4/5/2010 09:42 (#1150673 - in reply to #1150445)
Subject: Re: presentation on soil acidity

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
Jared M - 4/5/2010 00:21

I have a quick question, say there is a field that you take a soil test on and the pH is low, if you only add lime to raise the pH and no fertilizer will soil test amounts for P & K also increase since a higher pH increases nutrient availability or will a soil test read the same amount of P & K in the soil regardless of pH? Thought about it recently and meant to ask a prof but just tranfered from ATI to Ohio State main campus and dont know many and the ones I have are in botany and crop genetics.

Hi Jared, You bring up a very good point and I have never seen, for the past 35 years any consistent evidence either way.

When you say Lime ? Dolomite or Calcium lime ? Both are found in Ohio and then many consider Calcium Sulfate as a Liming Material also ?

I certainly have found that a farmers Profit and Yield Depend More on being able to consistently Get the Proper Nutrients Into the plant allowing maximum Production ? Than what a soil analysis reads !

I was visiting just last week with a Farm operation in Ill and we were comparing Notes that we have Never been able to match field yield maps with P levels consistently over the years across the corn belt. Of course you have to look at Sampling methods and Lab procedures to provide any kind of consistent P readings so with the same person sampling and using the same lab for 10 to 20 Plus years gives you more consistency and credibility !!!

Jared, You bring up an Issue that can have 100 Plus variables and I think that from field to field and farm to farm You would Realize a differing Reality as it relates to actual Field performance and Farmer Profit !!!

John
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)