AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alfalfa seed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 4/6/2010 08:25 (#1151883 - in reply to #1151012)
Subject: Logical and honest difference of opinions

Little River, TX
Starting with the basics for a full yielding stand of alfalfa only needs a few pounds of seed per acre, somewhere in the 5 lbs/A range.
Then we run into some variables. the new seedlings require some amount of freedom from competition to survive. This means that the percentage of hard seed and nonviable seed ends up being a filler. The planting depth of the seed is critical. This is driven by the soil type effect. All this usually means that the "Ideal" seeding rate is in the 10 to 15 lbs/Acre range, more or less, depending on the year. and if the other variables are ok. More or Less.

Then we encounter what works for ME on My Ground, using My Equipment, most of the time. This usually brings the ideal seeding rate up into the 18 lbs/A range, using a system that results in Drill Rows. Some will tell us that broadcast seeding requires additional seed. I believe broadcast allows us to use a higher pounds per acre rate, successfully. Broadcast seeding will lower the seedling to seedling competition compared to seedlings cramped in drill row.

Here on this black clay, with our climate, using a Brillion Cultapacker Seeder, I can and have had excellent stands with 15 lbs of less of seed per acre, In a Perfect Season. With Luck! ! That said there is a better chance for a good stand with 30 lbs/A seeding rate, HERE.

With that said, we now address quality and variety of seed, that will work in this microenvironment, with my limitations.
At one time our local Common worked just fine, and probably would still do just as well now as then. Then the pea aphid came through and put a stop to our Hairy Peruvian common. Then the New Mexico University Moapa 69 gained favor. Along about this time the seed company researches got going and found other diseases and pest that resistance could be breed for. In a normal season, an Oklahoma of Kansas Common or Variety Not Stated brown bag seed will work just fine. EXCEPT I have found out the hard way that I really need resistance to Wet Foot Root Rot. It would be nice to have hopper resistance for their every 20 or so year visit. Problem is I have aphids every year.

What works in California, New Mexico, Nebraska, Ohio and Georgia is interesting and may have some good ideas for HERE, if used with caution. I must be careful not to insist that what works Here will necessarily apply THERE.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)