AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Algae in fuel tank
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CJDave
Posted 4/3/2010 16:29 (#1148537 - in reply to #1148521)
Subject: RE: Algae in fuel tank

Southeast Iowa
I've done it both ways, but the easiest way is to drain the tank, and then wash the brown crud into the corners with a tiny stream, of diesel, and then vacuum it out with one of those suction guns. The more you can suck out of there the less the fuel filters have to deal with. We used to use a product made by RED LINE LUBRICANTS called Diesel Doctor. It was an additive that we put in to prevent the propagation of algae. When the GM dieselcars came out in the late 70's/early 80's it was an absolutle necessity to use Diesel Doctor as those cars had a fuel filter the size of a match box...AND... diesel purchased at places like a Seven-Eleven was full of condensate. I kept myself in dirt cheap transportation FOR YEARS by buying GM dieselcars that had been rendered useless by a tankfull of algae. They almost always had a brand new fuel pump on them, and when they didn't even make it home from the dieselshop, the irate owners would shove them aside in disgust. That's when I would spot them all tied down with spider webs and buy a really nice, low-mileage Olds, Chevy, or Buick for like, 400 bucks. I leap-frogged the same RACOR fuel filter/water separator/priming pump setup from car to car as they wore out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)