AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Next corn quiz + pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hayinhere
Posted 3/11/2010 19:15 (#1115839 - in reply to #1115775)
Subject: Re: DIng Ding Ding

Central NE

We have a winner. 

Mikenesd - 3/11/2010 17:50 Looks to me there is alot of corn residue in the lighter colored corn i would guess nitrogen tieup and sulfur deficency and cool soil temperatures. Mike

You are exactly right Mike from northeast South Dakota.  The corn to the far left was notilled into alfalfa, the next 3 or so rows were no-tilled into 32K corn residue, but the next 4-5 rows were NT planted into DOUBLE POPULATION 64K corn residue.

The reason for this was part of the alfalfa field was sprayed out in the fall of 07, and NT planted to corn in 08.  The red line on the left was as far as the alfalfa was killed out that year.  This is where I finished planting with my 8 row planter I had to either plant 4 or 5 rows into the alfalfa (a crime against humanity) or double up some rows of corn last season. 

The doubled up corn from last year had 100% ground cover, was much colder and wetter than the rows on either side.  The alfalfa ground killed this spring on the left was the warmest and dryest of all.  The nitrogen tie-up is more pronounced on the 64k population

The day I took this picture, I collected tissue samples from the left and to the far right.  corn on alfalfa had 4.21ppm N -sufficient and corn on corn had 4.44 ppm N - sufficient.  Sulfer tested .24 -sufficient following spring kill alfalfa and the corn on corn tested .29-high I wish I would have sampled some from the 4 row area, but I did not.  I think the soil temperature is the main detriment here.

Edited by Hayinhere 3/11/2010 20:01

(2009 Spring Corn Woods (Medium).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2009 Spring Corn Woods (Medium).jpg (93KB - 42 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)