AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Operation of a very old drillpress >>>>>>>VIDEO!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 2/7/2010 10:38 (#1062468 - in reply to #1062437)
Subject: Re: Operation of a very old drillpress >>>>>>>VIDEO!

just a tish NE of central ND
rebelhill - 2/7/2010 09:21

A farm I rented back in the day,had an old belt drive press. The belts were rotten,I ordered a roll from Sears or Monkey Ward farm catalog. Gentleman in town had a whole machine shop in his basement.Dirt floor, he had jack shaft's hanging from the floor joists and clutches for every machine. Ran the whole mess from 1 electric motor. I always walked around with my head ducked, and you darn sure didn't stick your hand up. He also had an acetylene generator used pelleted carbide and water I think. Kinda scary but the old man could fix anything...

I have friends that had a family "fix it" repair shop years back. The owner had a carbide generator acetylene welder. The middle son got a teaspoon of carbide from the Acetone supplies and sprinkled it in a 5-10 foot mud puddle out in front of the shop. He said watch this.... as he sparked a match and dropped it in the puddle. It was pretty cool to watch the whole puddle momentarily flame up in the colors of red and blue. Oh, they too had a line shaft drill..... but it was bigger than those in the photo's that are shown here.And it was remodeled to have its own motor. I'm thinking that it was Made in America and made to last. Still going strong.Surely it was make in the early 1900's
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)