AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yard Mowing Machinery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 2/6/2010 22:10 (#1061957 - in reply to #1061825)
Subject: RE: Yard Mowing Machinery

West Union, Illinois

Sounds like the one I bought a couple years ago. Quick history. We have a long history with mowers about 5 ft wide.  When I was a kid (like 40 years ago) Dad and Gramps each had a B Farmall with a 59" Woods deck.  Little brother and I would drive them a couple miles to church to mow the church yard.We learned t drive on a B with a lawnmower.  Come to think of it so did my kids.  Poor things barely survived (the B's, not the kids)

At one time we had 4 B Farmalls with 59" Woods decks, a C Farmall with a 59" Woods deck, an H Farmall with a 72" Woods deck, and Mom's Cub Cadet with a 72" deck.  Yeah, we are experienced with big mowers.  At certain times we might have had 4 people mowing.

I bought a new Husqvarna with a 60" deck a couple years ago.  Dad's health got to the place he couldn't mow anymore.  Last summer Mom bought a used Woods zero turn with a 60' deck.  2 people can mow as much with those 2 mowers as 4 experienced people with B's and 59" decks.

We have one shed with the yard broken into 3 odd shaped pieces.  I've mowed it every way possible, using every trick I know, and with a B it just takes an hour.  The first time I mowed it with the Husqvarna ... I was pushing it, I admit it ...  I cut divots in the drive turning hard at full speed.  I mowed it in 20 minutes.

Gramps used to spend a couple days a week mowing his yard.  He could do it in one if he worked steady, but when you are 85 years old what's the rush?  I mow it in just over 2 hours.

At home my wife mows the yard.  Took me 20 years to get bad enough at mowing that she decided to take over. With a B and 59" deck she had to hustle to mow it in 4 hours.  With the Husqvarna she does it in 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

I have some irrigator alleys I mow with the Husqvarna.  By the time I go get a tractor and Bush Hog, drive the the field, mow it (and it can be good mowing, 1/2 mile long 15 ft wide flat and straight) and drive home I can have it done and be gone.  Red clover over a foot tall does slow it down, though.

Would I buy one again?  Absolutely.  I would do a bit more shopping, because there are a few things other mowers have my wife might find beneficial.  For instance, Mom chose the one she bought simply because it has hydraulic lift on the deck.  The Country Clipper is a lot easier to change blades.  But I have no complaints about the Husqvarna.

edit: GoldenLeaf has a good point Husqvarna makes ... I think it is 4 classes of mowers.  Mine is an LZ commercial only available through a dealer, not Lowe's or Tractor Supply.  Because I am not mowing commercially  (contract work) it has a 5 year warranty.

Edited by Mike SE IL 2/6/2010 22:26

(When can I drive.jpg)

(New and clean.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments When can I drive.jpg (65KB - 103 downloads)
Attachments New and clean.jpg (72KB - 93 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)