AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

USDA Geo-spatial images ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Carl In Georgia
Posted 2/3/2007 15:23 (#98733 - in reply to #98335)
Subject: Re: USDA Geo-spatial images ?

Ashburn, GA, (very close to Heaven!)

I just did a conversion on exporting a section of my home county, an area totaling 5672 acres, where I have a lot of acreage that I do a lot of soil sampling and scouting. The size is the total acreage of the picture, not the fields, a rectangle that is 3.34 and 2.64 miles. I used Geo Express to export real world files to both JPG and TIF formats. From Geo Express, the TIF image comes out at 17,790kb and the JPG at 4890kb.

Then I calibrated each in Farm Works Calibrate, and see the FW Calibrated file of the tif to be 16,010 kb and the jpg to be 838 kb. I cannot discern a significant difference in the resolution level, that is in looking at the original MrSid, the Geo Express exported TIF, the Geo Express exported JPG, the FW TIF, or the FW JPG calbrated image formats any more than I could do a blind taste test and tell you the differnce between a canned Coke and a canned Pepsi.

The take home message for the typical Farm Works user is, "Export to JPG, calibrate the export in FW to JPG, then delete the original Geo Express exports."  If there is a reason to stilk with TIF, what is it?

Geo Express allows you two hours of work before requiring you to purchase, price of $299.  I export large sections of areas where I have farms, close down the program.  Then from that image in Farm Works Calibrate I save the farms and fields I need for various projects.

We download images from the NRCS data gateway, and all of Georgia's MrSid's are in whole counties, and I see that my home county is 101,688 KB, too big for Farm Works Calibrate and my computer. My growers and I are very satisfied with our MrSid product so far. 

Blane, are you coming to Georgia for the Ag Pro Expo (NAICC) in two weeks?  if so, see you there. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)